Ian & Erin
Ian and Erin recently retired from rewarding legal careers and have lots of plans for the future. Both dedicated decades in different fields. Ian was general counsel for a few tech companies and Erin was a fearless litigator for one of the Big 4.
They have done a fantastic job maxing out their 401ks over the years and have strong equity in their real estate portfolios. However, they want to ensure that their retirement plan can withstand a life of leisure, travel, and charity, as well as covering their pre-Medicare healthcare expenses and potentially financially assisting their parents.
Their retirement package included a 401(k), partnership equity, stock options, and a deferred compensation, and they aren’t quite sure about how he could access these funds and needed some advice as to what investment options were available to them.
Ian’s ultimate goal was to make sure that their money would outlive them while facilitating the comfortable lifestyle they envisioned.
It was important to help make Ian and Erin’s retirement planning process easy, enjoyable, and stress-free.
To avoid any major surprises, the first step was to identify any potential tax challenges they may soon face. Working together with Ian and Erin’s CPA and estate planner, the retirement planning process involved:
- Compiling all the information Ian and Erin needed from their company’s benefits administrator
- Summarizing all the options available to them along with any corresponding tax ramifications
- Establishing new investment/retirement accounts
- Setting up a management company for the rentals to establish a deductible health care plan.
- Strategizing a withdrawal plan to provide them with a reliable income stream
Being able to see and understand all of their options removed a lot of worries. They were able to move forward with their plans, confident in knowing that they would be well looked after.
The solutions adopted by Ian and Erin helped them in many ways:
- They were able to reduce taxes now and, in the future,
- Ian’s retirement savings were protected
- They had the advantage of a predictable stream of income that they could not outlive
Today, Ian and Erin are having the time of their lives. They travel between their home in the Newport and their winter cabin in South Lake Tahoe, visit new golf courses, and spend time with their grandchildren every chance they get.
They have the confidence of knowing that his financial plan is sustainable and that he and Erin can relax and enjoy life on their terms.
Ian and Erin’s retirement plan is reviewed regularly. Most importantly, new tax laws are being monitored each year to ensure they are taking advantage of any opportunities available to them.